Tuesday 22 April 2014

Snow's BBQ

My alarm was set for 7am and as soon as it went off I bounced up, showered and jumped in my Mustang. I was headed for Lexington, about an hour north east of Austin Texas. I was headed for Snow's BBQ. The famous BBQ joint that only opened on Saturday. I was told that I better get there before 11am before they sell out of everything! The ride was awesome, lots of utes and huge trucks and open roads for me to plant my foot and feel the mustang power beneath me. Once I hit the country the winding roads were a joy to navigate and it was hard to stay within the speed limit. Before I knew it I was in the cute cosy town of Lexington.


Upon arrival at Snows around 9:30am I noticed a fairly decent line and a whole bunch of people already eating. Snow's have been serving their BBQ every Saturday for the last 11 years in Lexington and it was clear by the crowd that they had built an incredible reputation! I joined the line of locals and people that had traveled from all over the country to be there, I was excited! The whole establishment had a really nice homely feel about it, everyone was just happy and smiling! I finally made it inside and there where a whole bunch of soccer mums carving up ridiculous amounts of meat. It was something out of heaven! I was just smiling so much and I the smell of smoke was incredible!


I finally made it to the front of the queue and I was asked what I would have, my tongue tied as it always does when I just want everything. She managed to just pile it up until I said when for the brisket, the pork chops and the sausage. It was a great chat, I was salivating already just looking at the meat I was about to eat. I got a side of potato salad, coleslaw and beans (the beans apparently have and always will be free!). I got a nice big cup of sweet iced tee and found my space out near the pit with all the other hungry BBQ lovers.


I sat down, paced my self, took some photos, was a little bit too excited, the smell of the pit that was literally a meter behind me was overwhelmingly lovely. It was just perfect, I was where I wanted to be. I had finished the formalities and I got the camera rolling as I put the first piece of Moist Brisket in my mouth. I can't lie, this was one of the most incredible experiences of meat I have ever had. I thought I had experienced great BBQ in the past, but this was just ridiculous. Seriously, you can't put into words how good this shit it. It was so soft, literally fell apart as I picked it up, it was juicy, it was full of flavour, yet the bark was crunchy and delicious. The pit masters Kerry and Tootsie claim they only season with salt and pepper, but you can taste the love. Man, it was good. I am scared about trying anything else know, for fear of it being better and me exploding.


After I ate a whole bunch of brisket I ate some ribs, they were delicious, drier than the day before but full of yummy spices and flavour. Lovely to eat and small so I didn't feel full from them. The sausage was ridiculous, so yummy! I had my doubts about American sausage but this just rocked, it was yummy, you could see the smoke rings and you could taste the flavour. The best addition was the BBQ sauce, Tootsie's own special recipe and it went perfectly with all the meats. The potato salad, coleslaw and beans were nothing special, but went really well with the meal. I was in my happy place.


I finished my meal and noticed heaps of people taking photos with the pit masters and a camera crew as well. I got chatting and I ended up being interviewed for a NY media house that was doing a special on BBQ. So that could be exciting! I got to meet the two owners, Tootsie, a 79 year old lovely lady who just loves her BBQ and has been doing it since 1966!!!!! She started Snows BBQ with Kerry and have been going for over 11 years together. It is an amazing story and just a great tale of two friends with a love for great meat. Their meat really is amazing, I was so full, yet completely satisfied. Snow's exceeded expectations and the food was incredible, just amazing, simple yet full of flavour and full of passion for BBQ.


Score
Brisket - 9/10 The best I have had so far. Absolutely perfect, so tender, so juicy, so mmm.
Sausage - 9/10 Deliciously smoky and yum!
Ribs - 8/10 Fantastic, salty, spicy, full of flavour, could have been slightly more moist IMO.
Potato salad - 6.5/10 Was a good side, but nothing special
BBQ Sauce - 9/10 Amazing! So tasty and I even bought a bottle. Was so good!


Conclusion -
There is a reason this place was voted the best BBQ in Texas for several years in a row. It is just perfectly made BBQ with great flavour made by great people. Kerry and Tootsie were totally cool with me interviewing them and let me walk around their pit's and take photos too. It is a must see and definitely worth the early start and drive. Was an amazing experience. It made me feel all warm inside :)


No comments:

Post a Comment