Thursday 17 April 2014

America

The plane was landed like a Boss and I was already salivating at the thought of slow cooked goodness. I had to be patient as getting through customs and finding the hotel would take a while. The plane ride had been great, I had an exit row and could stretch out. I even managed to get a little sleep in between drinking the plane out of bourbon and coke (not really dad, but really). The first step onto American soil was super exciting, I could instantly see some of my favourite fast food stalls in the airport and could almost hear my arteries protesting at the thought. Customs was painless but when I mentioned a BBQ tour he did seem to think I was a bit crazy, clearly not a thing done here by tourists!?


I made it to my hotel easily enough, but felt a bit crazy as the ATM machine handed me $700 in $20 dollar notes, nekminut, too many notes. The hotel was great and I quickly unpacked and jumped on to the train into Dallas. Dallas as a city doesn't really impress me much, it doesn't really seem to have an identity, or maybe I just haven't seen the right parts yet?! I powered down to Lockhart's Smokehouse feeling very enthusiastic and telling everyone about my exciting times ahead, again, met with disbelief, confusion and excitement.


As soon as I walked in the smell of smoke hit me, the servers where are all super welcoming and I felt at home straight away. I walked down the back to the smoker to order 'by the pound' from the BBQ pit master. In my excitement I definitely didn't take enough photos as I was filming and feeling more tired than a one legged chicken in a butt kicking contest. As he opened up the meat smoker I could see racks and racks of goodness. I was quick to just yell out 'Just give me one of everything'. He then proceeded to cut up small portions of everything and wrap it in paper and handed it to me. I got two sides of deviled eggs infused with brisket and classic potato salad.


I ordered a delicious local beer served in a jam jar and sat down to eat all the things. I unwrapped the paper like a kid at Christmas but with more grownup excitement and beer. I immediately started eating the brisket - soft, delicious, fall apart in your fingers, melt in your mouth, boom. TEXAS!!!!! I then move over to the Turkey, slow cooked in the smoker, tender and moist, this thing was incredible, the spice rub on it was amazing. One of the best turkeys I had ever eaten. I then just ate all the things. Lockhart's doesn't have knives and forks so you just have to get in there and hope for the best.

Once I had finished my meal I realised several things. First I need to remember to chew my food, holly crap, I was so hungry and basically inhaled the meal and if I am going to eat all the BBQ, I need to take all the time doing it. Also remember to check your camera is set to Auto Focus before taking photos, what a pain in my dick that was! I had some great closeup's of the meat completely out of focus, I wasn't even drunk!? I also need to remember to write down all the things I try and people I meet. I met a lovely group of people just as I was walking out who thought my tale was very exciting and wanted to know all about it. I was so tired at this point I barely managed to communicate in English but they were super nice and offered me some great tips and suggestions and were very excited by my tale. They also where very excited to get a photo with me. I love Americans!


My verdict -
Lockharts is a very famous institution based in Lockhart in Texas and the one I visited today was only a franchise version but with their same famous sausages and meat's rubbed just the way they do. I was glad I made the mistakes I did today as I feel like the food was great but I know that the other places I have planned will be even better. I felt rushed today and barely able to concentrate. I would rate this early in the game without trying the other BBQ joints but knowing what I know I will give it a 6.5/10.
  • Brisket - 6/10 - Was lacking serious amounts of flavour compared to other places. Bark was not hard but it did fall apart in my fingers.
  • Turkey - 10/19 - This shit was money, so delicious, many tender, such wow, much moist, would eat again.
  • Sausage - 7/10 - Deliciously spicy, perfect quantity.
  • Potato Salad - 7.5/10 - perfect potatoes, but too much sauce.
  • Ribs - Mother Knuckers didn't give me any in my 'one of everything' and by the time I finished what I had in front of me I couldn't fit it in. Rookie error.
I left pretty quickly as my head started spinning feeling so exhausted. I thanked everyone and said goodbye to my new friends. Feeling accomplished and very full I headed home on the bus then train and jumped straight into bed. Sleep has never been more exciting. 

Till next time!

Mark




No comments:

Post a Comment